Centura Health OB/NICU Tech in Louisville, Colorado
Located minutes from Boulder, CO, in the charming community of Louisville, Avista Adventist Hospital is a comprehensive medical center that provides a full-range of medical specialties and exceptional health care to residents of Louisville, Broomfield and the surrounding Boulder area communities. With 114-beds, this full-service facility has been honored for excellence in cardiac, mom/baby and emergency care. It is also home to one of the area’s top joint and spine care centers specializing in hip and knee replacement, as well as spine surgery. Avista is proud to be recognized for its award-winning New Life Center, the area's most innovative birth center and large Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery. In 2013, Avista was named among the Top 100 Hospitals for Patient Experience by /Women Certified/® (womencertified.com) for quality physician communications, nurse/staff responsiveness, superior cleanliness and referrals by other women. With some of the lowest turnover and highest associate satisfaction scores in the industry, Avista Adventist Hospital has an excellent local reputation for its supportive culture, visionary leadership, strong team and daily living of what it means to truly /care for the whole person – body, mind and spirit./
_Job Description/Job Posting ID: 131445_
_Recruiter Contact:_ Niki Miyata (firstname.lastname@example.org)
_Clinic/Department:_* 6052 AAH LABOR AND DELIVERY*
_Hospital:_* AVISTA ADVENTIST HOSPITAL*
_Schedule:_ This is a Per Requested Need (PRN) or "as needed" position. There are not a guaranteed number of hours offered each week. This position is not benefits eligible.
Assists in smooth daily operations of the Labor & Delivery/Postpartum and NICU units. Performs direct and indirect patient care including vitals, hygiene measures, and basic care for antepartum, postpartum and newborn patients. Assists with deliveries under the direction of a Registered Nurse and Physician. Functions as a Scrub Tech for C-section deliveries. Performs order entry and maintains supplies and equipment on the unit. Assumes personal accountability for organizational mission and core values.
*Minimum Education Requirements*
- High School graduate or GED
*Minimum Experience Requirements*
One-year patient care experience preferred, i.e. OB Tech, LPN/LVN, EMT, CNA, Medical Assistant or Surgical Tech experience
Operating Room (OR) experience STRONGLY preferred
Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English
Basic computer skills
Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from American Heart Association
Current Colorado Surgical Technologist Registration upon hire or within 3 months of hire/transfer
*Position Duties (essential functions denoted with an * )*
• Assists with safe and appropriate delegated patient care tasks which are directly supervised by a Registered Nurse.
• Provides person-centered care with sensitivity and respect for the human experience in a collaborative fashion with other team members. Assists care team in achieving daily patient and family goals.
• Provides quality patient care, including comfort and hygiene measures, preventative skin care, safety measures, transport, nutritional and elimination needs and well-baby care, i.e. bathing infants, bottle feeding, transporting, cord care and weighing of infants.
• Functions as a Scrub Tech for C-section deliveries. Demonstrates appropriate skill to scrub a variety of OB cases.
• Verifies surgical procedure with circulator, physician and other team members.
• Sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions needed for procedure.
• Prepares solutions and medications used. Properly labels and reports amounts used for charting.
• Prepare back table and mayo stand anticipating needs of the surgeon and through the use of the surgeon’s preference card.
• Provides supplies or equipment upon request for the surgeon, nurses and/or anesthesiologist.
• Effectively communicates with surgeon and nursing staff, anticipating possible problems or complications that could arise.
• Adjusts quickly and prepares for emergency, emergent cases, staffing and patient volumes that change work flow. Maintains efficiency under stress and with irregular working hours.
• Assist with draping sterile field; drapes and covers procedure and instrument tables.
• Performs appropriate counts with circulator prior to the operation, before incision is closed and as needed.
• Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure by checking package integrity, indicators and opening procedures.
• Prepares and sterilizes supplies and equipment used in procedures. Disposes of sharps/contaminated materials appropriately.
• Reviews and replaces supplies in the surgical case following a procedure. Discards expired medications per protocol.
• Assists with terminal cleaning of operating room. Puts equipment, supplies and instruments away as required. Assists in prepping room for the next patient.
• Holds retractors or instruments, sponges or suctions operative site, applies electrocautery to clamps on bleeders, cuts suture material, connects drains to suction apparatus and applies dressings to a wound.
• Demonstrates understanding of hemostatic products.
• Uses aseptic technique in application of dressings.
• Collects specimens as directed by RN. Assures proper handling of specimens from deliveries and surgical procedures.
• Responds to patient’s call lights promptly and notifies appropriate personnel of patient’s needs.
• Gives accurate report to oncoming shift.
• Accurately documents vital signs, input/output, nutritional intake, personal hygiene, weights and other patient care performed and reports findings promptly to Registered Nurse.
• Oversees the C-section schedule and contacts Surgeons.
• Performs documentation including refrigerator and blanket warmer temperature logs, acuity levels for infants, NICU reunion upon discharge, patient log books for LDRP and NICU
• Assembles admission chart packets and forms. Retrieves up to date records as needed and duplicates and releases patient records per policy.
• Ability to enters orders into the computer in emergency situations*
• Enters patient information into the Patient Portal.
• Enters admissions for infants into the computer.
• Manages Breast Milk identification system.
• Thorough and confidential maintenance of patent charts and records*
• Coordinates patient discharge/transport clerical tasks. *
• Greets and oversees the flow of visitors on the unit and manages the entrance/exit door.
• Greets, directs, informs, and schedules patients via phone or in person; ensures completion and communication of all patient intake information.
• Ensures that work environment, equipment/supplies are clean, functioning properly and orderly throughout the workday.
• Responsible for acquiring, maintaining and stocking supplies and equipment including floor stock medications, supplies in LDRP, NICU equipment, Code White Cart and Operating Rooms according to unit stocking sheet.
• Cleans and transports instruments to central processing.
• Maintains ready rooms for laboring patients including suction, oxygen, warmer, EFM monitors, delivery carts, crib supplies and other necessary equipment and supplies.
• Assists with terminal cleaning of procedure rooms. Puts equipment, supplies and instruments away as required. Assists in prepping room for the next patient.
• Uses standards of care, hospital policies/procedures and regulatory guidelines to guide work.
• Consistently demonstrates flexibility as evidenced by floating to other areas and is agreeable to work flexible schedules including weekends, holidays and evening hours as necessary to meet the needs of the patients and department.
• Assists with quality improvement, safety and regulatory functions as directed. Participates in process change to improve practice.
• Assists in training other OB and NICU Techs, volunteers, students and other hospital personnel. Effectively manages volunteer staff.
• Adapts to rapidly changing technology as evidenced by competency in technology and equipment used in the patient care setting.
• Demonstrates effective time management and is proactive in prioritizing workload and meeting productivity requirements.
☑ Medium Work - exert/lift up to 50 lbs. force occasionally, and/or up to 20 lbs. frequently, and/or up to 10 lbs. constantly
Important notification to applicants as of Nov. 20, 2014: Effective Jan. 1, 2015, Centura Health will no longer hire tobacco users in Colorado and Kansas. The change to our policy does not apply to associates hired on or before Dec. 31, 2014. Centura Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.